Coronavirus - the latest advice on cycling can be found on this Cycling UK page

Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) - A consultation is due to start in August on this by Surrey County Council in partnership with Mole Valley District Council and their contractor Atkins.  In the mean time this is a good opportunity to log suggestions and improvements to cycling infrastructure in our area on the Commonplace Map they are using.

Read our latest response to possible plans for redevelopment of the Ranmore BMX/MTB trail.  Subsequently the proposal was rejected at the Council meeting, so there is now an opportunity for interested parties to put together a plan to manage the trail.

At our recent AGM after 11 years in the saddle, the outgoing chairman (Ron Billard) was delighted to hand over to John Arnold. John ArnoldJohn has been a Dorking resident for 24 years and is a keen promoter of cycling. He can often be seen cycling in Dorking and in the Surrey Hills. He believes passionately in the benefits that cycling can bring to individuals, families and society as a whole.

John says ….” Our thanks to Ron for his leadership of the Forum over the years and the enduring improvements that have been made in that time. “Building on this, we now have the opportunity, working with MVDC and Surrey County Council in developing a Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) to make a step change in the level of investment in safer and more accessible cycling facilities for all ages in Mole Valley.”
“If you live or work in or near Mole Valley and have an active interest in cycling and cycling issues then why not join us? We need more voices on the Forum to ensure that priority is given to improving facilities for cyclists in Mole Valley.”

Back in June, the Forum was approached by Officers from Mole Valley District Council for suggestions on Cycling & Social Distancing Measures that could be implemented in Town and Village Centres in Mole Valley.  You can read the brief and the responses here.

Some interesting views here from the Road Danger Reduction Forum on Transport in the Time of the Coronavirus

Want to start or get back back into cycling?  Some useful information can be found on this NHS page 
Sustrans also have a handy guide on Cycling for Beginners

 

The Mole Valley Cycling Forum comprises a cross-section of Mole Valley residents linked by a desire to facilitate the use of bikes for recreation and as a means of transport. 

Our aim is to encourage cycling in Mole Valley

  • as a key component of an integrated transport system,
  • as a highly sustainable transport mode and
  • as a healthy and fun activity for all the family

We are supported by officers from Mole Valley District Council (unfortunately Surrey County Council no longer has a Cycling Officer) and meet regularly with them to discuss issues concerning cyclists and pedestrians in the area. We currently have a formal meeting every 3 months, usually held at MVDC's offices at Pippbrook in Dorking. More details are provided below.

Use our site to find out about what we are doing and how you may help us, to find some cycle routes off the beaten track and to let us know about danger points or other problems in your local area. The Mole Valley Cycling Forum exists to help you make cycling a safer and more enjoyable activity in Mole Valley.

Forum Meetings

If you live or work in or near Mole Valley and have an active interest in cycling and cycling issues then why not come and join us?
We need more voices on the Forum to ensure that priority is given to improving facilities for cyclists in Mole Valley.
We discuss cycling issues and develop ideas for improving cycling facilities in the district.

Our next formal meeting is now scheduled for Thursday 30th September at 7.00pm.  Whilst it should be possible to hold this face-to-face, this will depend on a suitable venue being available, so it may still have to be held online.  Further details will be posted closer to the date.  You can read the minutes of our last meeting here.

Between formal meetings we usually hold an informal meeting.  The next one is scheduled for Thursday 15th July from 7.30pm, when we hope to be able to arrange this at a suitable outdoor venue.  Last year a very pleasant evening was spent in the grounds at Denbies.  Again, further details will be sent out nearer to the time.

For reference purposes, minutes of previous meetings are available here